Published on: http://www.ontherecord-unisa.com.au/?p=2127
Australian IndyCar driver Will Power claimed his first win of the season to take the win in Sunday’s IndyCar race at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama.
The Australian driver started from ninth on the grid, but a mixture of misfortune and forceful tactics from Scott Dixon in the final cycle of pitstops helped Power to first place.
Before the final round of stops, Dixon had the lead on Power.
After losing time behind Simona de Silvestro, Dixon suffered a slow pitstop, having to wait for EJ Viso’s car to move before he could be released back into pit lane.
The time lost was enough for Power to take the lead.
With Dixon’s tyres fading away, Power’s chances looked promising from then on.
Scott Dixon ended up finishing second, with Helio Castroneves rounding out the top three.
This race was a good demonstration of the strategic elements of IndyCar racing, with the combination of overtaking, passing and pit stops making for constant position changes throughout the 90-lap race.
The biggest mover of the race was Dario Franchitti, who managed to cross the line in tenth place after starting eighteenth.
Rubens Barrichello also took a step forward in his adaptation from Formula 1 to IndyCar by finishing in eighth position.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevrolet 2h01m40.1127s
2. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda + 3.3709s
3. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevrolet + 19.1150s
4. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda + 19.3395s
5. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt-Hamilton DW12-Honda + 20.1050s
6. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevrolet + 23.3093s
7. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda + 24.5552s
8. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevrolet + 25.4023s
9. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Lotus + 27.1815s
10. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda + 32.7377s
11. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevrolet + 33.5038s
12. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevrolet + 35.8730s
13. Oriol Servia Dreyer & Reinbold DW12-Lotus + 37.8944s
14. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevrolet + 41.6742s
15. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevrolet + 44.5059s
16. James Jakes Coyne DW12-Honda + 54.5343s
17. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda + 1m00.6182s
18. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevrolet + 1 lap
19. Justin Wilson Coyne DW12-Honda + 1 lap
20. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus + 1 lap
21. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevrolet + 1 lap
22. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevrolet + 2 laps
23. Katherine Legge Dragon DW12-Lotus + 5 laps
DNF (Did Not Finish):
Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 52 laps
Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 45 laps
Alex Tagliani BHA DW12-Lotus 0 laps